Not Quite 200…

200 Likes of the boxcarkids facebook page, that is. And that’s when I said I’d unveil the photos of our new home site! But that’s pretty close (and I’m told 181 is the new 200) so below are photos of our current living situation, and following it three photos of the proposed housesite in Indiana. These are three views of the same spot (looking different directions) taken last spring.  Nice and level – and note the barn!  My teenager asked if our family had any homeless people camped on their land (not that I know of) and my youngest daguhter wondered where the stores are (some 12 miles away)!

This is our current living situation.  And below…

lots of space!  No house.  That will be our next challenge!

This entry was posted in choices, faceboook, Family, Farming, hobby farm, houses, housing, moving, New Homesite, updates. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Not Quite 200…

1. Have you received any donations yet? How much are you needing?

We have received some and are chipping away at pre-trip expenses. The biggest thing is car repairs. I have an appointment early next week with the mechanic and he’s going to give me a priority list – must repair vs would be nice but not essential at this point!

2. Eliza says:

My brother-in-law was able to do something similar – he and his wife put a trailer on land owned by her mother. He hand dug the septic tank hole. So it can be done. Hopefully you will have some help with that. I’m not sure what they did as far as running plumbing and electricity out to the trailer, will have to ask.

3. rita says:

I’m so excited for you1 what date are you planning on hitting the road?

4. Love the wide open spaces. room to stretch and spread out. Keep the pictures coming.

5. Rachael says:

I love it! You will love it! There are pros and cons to everything in life but I think you guys will really like the breathing room! Yes, there will be lots of hard physical work ahead, but there are many benefits to that, too. Exercise, learning skills, time to think, and oh, the fresh air! No smog. You know all this… I’m just excited for you and nattering on.. I always wanted to be a pioneer woman, traveling the plains with all my possessions in a wagon and start from completely nothing to build your own dream with your own two hands; you get to actually do it! Fantastic! lol! 😀

6. V's Herbie says:

Oh, look at all that space! you are going to have to do something silly with it just because you can…. I’m thinking an afternoon of DIY slip and slide, and hoola hoops, and …. bubbles! giant ones!

7. It looks like a big improvement to me! Hope it all turns out great.

8. Kelly says:

Pity you can’t take your current trailer with you, but as it’s a park model it probably wouldn’t work very well. What is the septic/well situation? Would you need to go with a sawdust toilet/humanure waste disposal?

9. Lynda says:

Your new home place is beautiful! You have plenty of hard work ahead of you, but it will be so worth it. Don’t worry too much about a roof over your head…looks like that barn has a roof. Folks have lived in worse! The wide-open spaces will be so awesome for your children. I am not familiar with Indiana and will enjoy your blog posts letting us know all about it. Thank you for letting me tag along on your adventure.

10. julia says:

What about running water, power and internet?

You think those pioneers had any of those things? Just kidding. Family members live in a house on the property with all those things – we’ll have to see about running utilities to the site. Permits will be the first thing to tackle when we get there.

• Julia says:

Evidently you aren’t up on your history – just the other day I read Abe Lincoln invented Facebook. It was on the internet so I know it’s true. Clearly the pioneers were far more technically advanced than we thought.