A couple of project possibilities have fallen through in the past few weeks so with my projected income down I’m re-evaluating our plan and the most cost-effective way to tackle it. Our one big asset is our home which we purchased for $4,000. We plan to sell it to raise the money for the trip, and to give us a small starting fund once we get there. It’s hard to tell what it is worth – on the one hand I believe it was under priced when we purchased it (luckily we were the first to respond and put down a deposit because the owner did get higher offers) and we have made some improvements, notably taking out the fairly stained and worn carpet and replacing it with nice laminate flooring. It does have some repairs that it currently needs – replacing the shelves in the pantry (the thin shelving collapsed under the weight of the canned food) and fixing the electrical problem in the bathroom (the light doesn’t work, nor does one electrical socket). The latter problem we inherited and have been living with since we never seem to have any extra money to pay an electrician. Aside from that it is in pretty good shape. But…all of the local RV parks have rules about how old your trailer can be and it’s older than that (we got an exception since we were already here and because the management likes us). That will limit our pool of buyers. So while I’d like to get what we paid (or more) for it I’m not sure how to price it.
I’ve been mulling over whether to list it just on craigslist, where you pretty much have to just state a price (although you can say “Or best offer”) or try it on an auction site. I’ve checked around and craigslist apparently frowns on auction listings, although there is nothing in their terms of services forbidding it. I was thinking of saying that the trailer would be available for viewing during a set time and that the following day we would take offers (bids) and the best offer (in cash) at the end of the offer period would get the trailer.
I could list it on eBay but then the listing fee and final value fee would eat into our profit – plus it seems easier to not have to deal with long distance buyers.
Timing is the other issue I’m wrestling with – once we sell it we have nowhere to live so I’d like to sell it as close to departure date as possible. As it is we will probably have a few homeless/camping days. Of course if I wait until school is out to list it and there aren’t any takers we run the risk of having to pay another month’s rent. I swear – it’s like trying to juggle shoes and wear them (or at least take them off) at the same time! Any ideas?