Highs and Lows

As you can tell, by now I’m fairly invested in our plan to relocate out of California.  Even the kids, who weren’t happy initially, are on board with the idea and we have frequent conversations about what our ‘new’ life will be like.  So it was with very mixed feelings that I received an emailed job announcement a day ago!  The job is right up my alley but it is part-time, no benefits and does not pay particularly well.  As it is working with a non-profit there is little likelihood of pay increases.  I’ve done volunteer work with this organization so I know it and they know me.  It would allow us to stay here, and I’d have a steady income and perhaps at some point we could get into some low income housing and out of the trailer.

Without disclosing too much (too soon), our relocation plan has a wealth of intangible benefits – particularly as they relate to a support system and much more physical space – and would allow me the freedom to pursue my true love (writing, not a fellow).  Our income would likely continue to be ‘unsteady’ and somewhat sporadic however.

What to do?  Well, after thinking it over and talking to someone who recently left the advertised position, I applied today.  The selection of candidates to interview won’t take place until the first week of April.  In the meantime we proceed with our plans, which includes continuing the sorting and boxing of our possessions still in storage.  I need to complete that by the end of the month anyway as the rent is going up and even if we stay I can’t afford it.

It would be ironic if I were to finally get a local job, even a part-time job, just as I’ve been driven to apply for some sort of assistance; on the eve of our conceding defeat and fleeing the Golden State!  For the first time since our wretched journey began I haven’t been able to scrape together enough for next month’s rent with my patchwork consulting jobs and cat bed sales.

On the other hand, being snatched from the jaws of defeat at the last minute would make a good ending for my book! 🙂 Stay tuned!

This entry was posted in 2nd Career, economy, Job, job search, recession and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Highs and Lows

  1. Pam McCormick says:

    sorry my response will not be popular, how many times have you pinned your hopes on California? There is better out there.Your state is broke and its going to take a heck of a long time to get healthy or stable…mean time you are stuck.The resources there are drying up,there is a high % of unemployed and people needing help Hmmmm….. you stated part time 30 hrs low pay no bennies aka health coverage no chance of inc in pay those facts came from you.Clear mind, would you encourage a responsible parent to cling to the dream of staying where you love? Learn to love the place/state your in once you find clean/safe place to land.Plus many places have better schools for your kids.Don’t romance your vision of where you live.Look at how you have done so far.Enough said!

  2. Melissa says:

    Is the position grant-funded? If so, find out how long the grant is for. Often, when the grant ends, the job ends.

  3. Maryl says:

    This relates back to the great Cranberry Sauce debate. My daughter is co-chair of a food drive at school. One of the students brought in not one, but 50 cans of cranberry sauce as a donation. BCK, I was thinking of you!!

  4. julia says:

    I remember comments on some of your older posts – people encouraging you to move to North Dakota, the mid-west and countless other places, all undoubtedly where the cost of living is lower than where you are. I may be the in the minority but I’ve always wanted for you to be able to stay in California. There’s a lot to be said for being in a place you love. I’m hoping you will be offered, and accept, this new job that has come up. Then again, I guess it isn’t all about me… whatever decision you make, I hope it will be without regrets and you will be happy.

  5. justice says:

    Even though it is a non-profit, they may be able to pay you well. I work for one and there is no way I would ever make this money working in a financial institution or in a school setting. I just negotiated my raise in January and I’m at the top of the new pay scale but they are working hard to see how they can raise me again next year so I stay ….

  6. Kelly says:

    Would they be willing to hire you if they knew it was only temporary? As in – I can work for the next three months as a part-time-temp to get money together for our move, but we have to leave in June? I know they’d prefer to hire someone who would stay put, but maybe if you sold it as “I’m good, I’ll hold the place until you find someone you REALLY love for the position.”? And if they REALLY love YOU, maybe they can make it worth your while to stay.

    Just a suggestion!

    • boxcarkids says:

      No, it’s a higher level job – it would require a commitment. They will look over applications next week and I guess I’ll know whether they are even interested by the first week of April (spring break)!

  7. Theresa says:

    Maybe you could use this job as a springboard into your new life. You could work temporarily until the move. It would help with the expenses of your move. It would help to also have some money in your pocket after the move too.

    • boxcarkids says:

      It’s not something they would hire a temporary person for and I really couldn’t say yes to it if I weren’t willing to make a long term commitment to the position.

  8. Lynn says:

    So now you have a ” Plan A” AND a “Plan B”. I think it’s a good thing. I think you might really like this job and perhaps “part time” is not a bad thing if it can work around your children’s hours, especially since you have spent so much time together since becoming unemployed and I suspect you’d all miss it. You’d have more time to write. And the timing is perfect.

    • Sara says:

      I love this way of looking at it!

      It’s so great to have two better options than the status quo! I’m sorry this didn’t come up 6 months ago.

    • boxcarkids says:

      It is a 30 hr a week position so it would almost fit within the kids schedule (not quite which means I’d need to have the younger kids in afterschool care at least a few days – $$). So I don’t think it would allow me time to write but it would be less taxing than the 60 hour weeks of old! I’m not sure how we would manage summer since it would not pay enough to put the kids in summer camp.

      • Lynn says:

        Summer camp does not sound like a deal breaker. You might even be able to bring the kids to work. Or the eldest could watch the younger ones, since even the youngest are old enough to read, play, and so on without moment to moment direction. Here in SB we even have a free summer camp (at Franklin school) and it is not required that parents be low income or working full time. I’ll try to find out who runs it…maybe exists where you are, too,since you are also in California. If you are recieving public assistance they also may have summer camps available to encourage parents to stay employed if they can.
        I hope you get this job–it would be perfect in every way except salary, and that is still better than what you have now or in your alternative place, as far as I know.

      • Celeste says:

        It really isn’t sounding so good anymore; to me, the biggest benefit is that it saves you the experience of moving. The intangibles in the north sound really valuable, to me anyway.

  9. Celeste says:

    Definitely check it out; the worst thing is feeling like you have regrets that you didn’t follow through. I’m not sure it’s possible to predict what income you’ll have in any situation, but I’m sure you’ll know what to do as spring progresses.

  10. Mamie says:

    You’re keeping your options open, but not letting yourself stagnate. Maybe, if the non-profit reeeeeeeeally wants to hire you and knows that there is a strong possibility of your leaving the state, they might somehow make that part-time position become full-time. You never know….

    In any event, you DO have some choices right now, which is good! You don’t yet have to commit to either option, which is also good. Let things unfold and see what happens.

    Hoping more good things are coming!

  11. unavocis says:

    I think you did the right thing… Though it hasn’t dealt with a job, I have been similar situations where I was planning on doing X, and then Y came along. If Y had worked out, then I wouldn’t have been able to do X (at least right away). Sometimes I opted to not go for Y, and continue w/ X. Other times, I did exactly as you are: continue to pursue X and give Y an chance. The more possibilities you allow, the more blessings you allow into your life. If you got it, you can always say “no.” It’s hard for me to say “no,” so that’s why I usually stagnate at “what should I do?” But the beauty here is, you already have your plan, and this is just an interesting potential “thing.” Worry should never come into it, and no decision has to be made (other than saying “yes” to the application) until you get an offer. Then you can make the decision from a place of peace. Good on you!

Leave a Reply to unavocis Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.