Day 3

Accomplishments – with the help of a neighbor we pulled up all the carpet (odor source 1), pads and tack strips and pulled out or hammered down the staples.  I pulled up all the rusty broken floor vents and vacuumed them out (one was full of moldy dog food – odor source 2), and bought new ones at Lowes (disappointed in the one taupe brown choice but they will fit).  Fixed the leaky sink, figured out how to light the water heater, and in doing so removed all manner of debris(odor source 3)  from the water heater area (mouse droppings, dead mice, miscellaneous things like a hair remover kit, screw driver, Q-tips, expired warranty for the water heater, etc).  Painted the small bedroom and much of the living room.  Went back to Lowes and Home Depot for additional supplies – wood for shelves in the pantry, and to fix the closet floor, more paint brushes, and 4 more boxes of the vinyl flooring.  Met with the flooring guy who quoted me a price of $350 to install the floor in the three rooms.  He can come and do it on Sunday morning and promises to be able to deal with the seam in the floor where the pop-out folds in plus the petrified remnants of pink carpet we discovered along all the room edges!  Called Lowes to order the door guards for the refrigerator – all shelves in frig and freezer are missing these rendering the shelves useless.  Decided we will jury rig something after hearing the price would be more than $150 for 4 pieces of plastic and 8 brackets!
We plan to finish painting tomorrow (at least in the rooms that need new floor) and hope to move in on Sunday once the floor is in!
Today’s photos:

This entry was posted in DIY, moving, RV Living. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Day 3

1. Janis says:

EEEWWWWWW!!!! What a mess!!! I cannot wait to see what all your hard work, and elbow grease show when you are finished.

Suggestion—-call the manufacturer directly for the fridge/freezer shelves and see how much they want.

janis

2. V's Herbie says:

Yikes! So today you applied febreeze with fire hose, yes?

it looks good! pretty soon you should have a nice solid place to call home!

3. Maryl says:

Disappointed in the one taupe brown choice for the vents? One can of spray paint in the color of your choice will remedy that one!

4. maja says:

Wowee! Hopefully that’s all the odours eliminated then! It’s gonna be like brand new when you’re finished with the place.

5. Maryl says:

Can I just say, Ewwww! What a bunch of nasty stinkin’ surprises you have had! Why are people so unrepentantly gross?

I remember moving into a house where the owner promised it would be nice and clean, ready to move in. Opened up the fridge and wads of dog hair fell out. Dog hair in every conceivable place AND the furniture had been strategically placed to cover the massive urine stains on the carpet. Surprise, surprise. And we found fleas in the carpet as well. Ugh!

Interestingly, the house we sold we worked like dogs to make it immaculate upon move-out, listed out when the carpets had been cleaned, when the curtains had been washed, vacuumed our way out of the house, practically, and even left a new box of Popsicles in the scrubbed-out freezer for the new owners because it was a hot day. How come we never end up on the receiving end of treatment like that?

UGH. Well, onward and upward, I guess. Looking forward to the “after” pictures! Once the floor is done and the painting done, it should be a lot better.

7. Becky R says:

Wow, that is alot of work. I am so impressed with you. I think hiring someone to do the floor makes the most sense, so you can get in and get your old trailor out.

It is so gross you found dead mice, I hope no live ones are still hanging around. EWWWWW!!!

I am sure when it is clean and fully repainted it will be much fresher.

I pray for blessings for you and your family. And a good night’s sleep asap.

8. Rita says:

In our modular home the holes for the pipes were enough bigger that mice would get in especially in the fall. Once I used steal wool to pack those places we never again had trouble with mice. I hope this helps.

9. Ewww! I think hiring someone to install the flooring was a wise move. Get the brand and model number from the refrigerator and call an appliance repair place. They may have something to cannibalize.

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but once mice have been in a trailer, it is almost impossible to get them out or keep them out. I would keep the traps set. Maybe your animals will be good mousers. Pour the kitty litter around the outside of the trailer where it won’t be unsightly. Scoop the poop first so you only have the urine smell.