Back to Work

This will be a short post – our Internet connection is even more tenuous in our new trailer and I have much work (and hopefully a shower) ahead of me tonight. But I wanted to share some exciting news!  I have been offered, and have accepted a part time job in my field with a small local firm!  I go in tomorrow to sign paperwork and get started. This is the firm I interviewed with back in May and then again in June.  I will be doing work in the environmental field where I’ve spent 25+ years of my career, returning almost 2 years to the day after being laid off due to the lack of work following the slowdown in construction projects.  I’m thrilled and very excited to get back to work, and also a bit stressed as we have not been able to completely move out and clean the old trailer or have it hauled off (and that was supposed to happen yesterday).  I suspect I will be paying double rent.  That’s another worry – my part time (15 hours a week) salary will be less than our unemployment check and I’ve exhausted my bank account with this move since nearly everything has exceeded my very frugal budget.  On the one hand we have a nice new home (although currently cluttered with our possessions as there is less storage in this bigger trailer and both the closet and pantry are useless until we have new floors/shelves installed) but on the other I’ve spent everything on this and now face a reduction in income.  And, (ok, this is minor) I have nothing to wear!!  Aside from my interview outfit which I splurged on a few months ago.  I’m both very excited and hopeful – if I do well, and bring in new work for this firm I can hope to move up to full time in three months and we can start to make our way on to firm ground.  I hope the work is there to bring in.

Thank you all for your support and best wishes and compliments on our new home.  We are all exhausted and hot (no AC in the new trailer and it’s been a very hot day) and the kids are a little (to say the least) cranky and tired of the moving process so it is nice to log on and read your comments.  I hope you will stay tuned for the next chapter in the boxcarkids saga!

This entry was posted in Job, moving and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Back to Work

1. You may already know this–I just read the first post about the job not paying as much as unemployment was. You just report you earnings and you will be given the difference between your present salary and unemployment. To make it simple–if you drew $200 in unemployment and make $150 at your job, you will get an unemployment check of $50…seems like there is something about $7 in there.

As a matter of fact this is one way to make sure unemployment lasts longer. A job making $100/week would ensure you were getting unemployment for twice as long if you were getting $200/week in unemployment.

You have had amazing news for you and your family lately. Great!

2. Michelle says:

Wonderful news. I too was going to suggest contacting “Dress for Success”. They have done clothing drives at my employer, and I have donated suits I had gotten too heavy for. So happy that things seem to be turning around for you. I know you will be in transition, but please post when you can and let us all know how the new job and home are coming along.

3. Rachel says:

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

While acknowledging the pay issues and not overlooking them- I am just so happy to hear you have a job and very hopeful for an increase to full-time work!

4. Linda says:

Congratulations! Welcome back to the working world. It’s crazy that you have to take a pay cut to work, as many have said. I hope that the business is right there waiting for you to bring it in. I’m impressed with your tenacity, even though I know you don’t have much of a choice, you are choosing to do things with grace and dignity and not whining about it (at least on here, you would have to be a saint to never think why me).
    I look forward to hearing more updates and hope the good continues to outway the bad.

5. Richard says:

The key thing is you are back in the work force and it freshens your work record. It’s an unfair thing but those interviewing potential hires seem to count the length of unemployment against applicants. If you are so good (they seem to think) how come no one before me has offered you a job.

Good luck to you as all your friends out here are thinking good thoughts and saying a prayer.

6. Janis says:

So very happy to read your good news this morning. Things seem to be looking up.

7. Rosa says:

Congratulations! OMG I had stopped checking because you said you woulnd’t be updating much, and look! HOORAY!

8. Merinda says:

woohoo! That’s pretty much all I wanted to say. 🙂

9. Jerry says:

Employment YAY!

10. Nicole says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May this lead to many more and better employment opportunities!

11. Abby says:

Congratulations and good luck!

12. Robin says:

The darkest hour is just before dawn…
    You deserve this LIGHT. Congratulations!

13. Nancy says:

Woot! That is such wonderful news, I feel like I have just had Christmas! 🙂 You are very resourceful, so I am sure you will figure out your clothing issues. The idea of looking for a women to work program sounds good, to give you the quality of clothing you will need.
    Looking forward to the next chapter!

This is wonderful for you, I pray all works out for the best. Wow you are rockin, I can’t wait to hear about new job.

15. SAB says:

Congratulations on the job! I hope this is the start of much better times for you and your children. Definitely hoping there is work out there to bring in, and that your hours increase very very soon.

16. Carla says:

I just found your blog & have read back a bit.. hope everything goes well with your new job! What a blessing that is! 🙂 I’m going to subscribe so I can read along… hope it cools down for you & your kids!

17. Jynet says:

I hate the “working poor trap” that both of our countries seem to have. I wish that unemployment insurance/welfare/other government agencies would ‘top up’ people’s earnings from part time work to the level of benefits that they were recieving before they started working. So that even if there wasn’t an incentive to work, at least there wouldn’t be a DISincentive to work!

I’m so glad that you have found work, and that it could become something more than it is right now. I hope this is a continuation of the good luck. You certainly have more than your share of good luck owed to you!

• Nancy says:

You can continue applying for unemployment, but you need to report anything you earn and they will only pay you the difference in unemployment pay.

• Jynet says:

Is that true in Californina? I know many places it isn’t.

I know where I live you can claim a certain amount before they start taking it off your unemployment cheque, but when you are earning as much as your cheque it is discontinued and you loose a lot of benenfits, like free prescriptions etc. that people on unemployment get. If you have sick kids it can be a serious disincentive to work.

18. Maria says:

Let me be the first to say congratulations!! It looks to me as though many things are slowly moving in your direction and my fingers are crossed that the good fortune keeps rolling in! Can I offer a word of advice on the new job as someone who has worked full time for more than 25 years and has 7 kids ranging in age from 21 to 9? A new job is a big transition FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY. Don’t be surprised if kids are a bit surly and hard to manage as they may be jealous of your time away with others…irrational I know, but I’ve seen this a lot. Be kind to them and yourself for the first few weeks as everyone gets adjusted to the changes. You are smart, experienced and tough–all wonderful qualities that your new employer is sure to appreciate!

19. Ann says:

That is such awesome news! Congrats! Can you pick up another small p/t job just to tide you over until more hours come your way? (which I bet won’t be long). For you work clothing, maybe you can pick up a few neutral color items at a thrift store – a pair of slacks and a skirt and a couple of tops you can mix and match with each. Best of luck to you!

20. Jen says:

Congratulations to you! Best of luck in the new position.

21. Grace says:

I’m definitely looking forward to Boxcar Kids: The Sequel! A lot of good things are happening to you right now–it’s about time. But it is interesting, isn’t it, that with the good news comes new financial worries. It’s all about keeping every one of the balls in the air at the same time.

22. Lisa M. says:

OMG, that is fantastic news! I’m so happy for you!

23. El says:

Great News!! I hope you can bring in new work and be full-time soon too.

BTW I know it is less than ideal, but can you just rush and move all the stuff over and pile it in a spot so you can at least avoid paying double rent.

24. Linda says:

Here’s praying that this is start back on the road to full-time employment! My sister just passed the one-year mark in her unemployment and it’s really scary. And she doesn’t have four kids. Take care of yourself!

25. Em says:

Fantastic!!! Good for you for working so hard and hanging in there. You and your children are truly amazing.
    Are there any programs that you can use to help you scrape by until full time work comes along? Like WIC or food stamps? I know you don’t want to do this, but its not like you are living off the system. You’re just underemployed at the moment. How much longer was your unemployment going to last anyway?
    As for clothes, can you look into a women to work program? Where they have career wear for women in need. For free! I donate to one here in Ohio all the time and they seem great.
    Also, for the fridge, try the Habitat for Humanity’s RESTORE. They have pretty much everything there. I bet you could find some refridgerator shelves and such for peanuts. Or what about a junkyard or recycle place?
    Not sure how to ask this, but if you don’t mind telling us your sizes, if we’re the same size I’m sure there are lots of readers that wouldn’t mind mailing you a gently used work outfit or suit.
    Good luck tomorrow. Not that you’ll need it!!

26. Amy says:

Lovely news about the job! I know this doesn’t magically fix everything but it’s a positive development and I have faith that things will improve. You and your family are an inspiration.

27. Amy says:

That is fantastic news! Congratulations! Even if it pays less now, it will probably pay more in time down the line. There is both the possibility that it could lead to something with more hours at the same place and the possibility that with it appearing on your resume you will be more attractive to other firms.

Good luck!

28. maja says:

Congratulations! You may be starting out on less than unemployment benefits, but I’m sure this is a stepping stone to better times. Work after 2 years will be surreal!

29. Mamie says:

WOW!!! What an incredible couple of weeks you have had! The job certainly poses some challenges, but there are opportunities as well. And, as you say, even better things may arise. Your sense of well being and self-worth will both be enhanced with the new home and the new job.

Congratulations!

30. Linda says:

Great news! I’m so happy for you!

31. Becky R says:

Hope it turns into full time asap. Exciting stuff for you

32. Katie says:

HOORAY!!! I am so happy for you. Maybe the drought is finally over. I hope and pray it is. Congratulations on this excellent news and for winning this position. Things will soon be tidied up and completed in your new home. Look at what you have accomplished this summer! You simply rock.

33. a fan says:

I am thrilled, THRILLED to read this. They are lucky to have you.