Updates

I did not get a call to interview for the vet tech job despite my carefully crafted cover letter outlining my wide and lengthy experience caring for animals of all sorts. Nor have I gotten any nibbles on any of the other jobs, both local and distant, that I’ve applied for in the past month, including one that would have been perfect – writer and web content editor for a charity involved with Chinese orphans.

The community college will not be offering medical assisting/front office training this summer due to budget cuts but will resume these classes in the fall.  I’m looking into other training programs – for example I thought insurance claims might be an interesting career but there aren’t any local courses and it’s not easy to tell if the online ones are worth the money they charge or even necessary to pursuing the career.

I have developed 2 archaeology workshops that I will present (free) in my 2nd and 5th grader’s classes next month and hope these workshops, and additional ones, might be something our local museum would like to offer at some time.  Unfortunately I just learned today that the museum will not be expanding, and therefore will not be likely to be hiring, this summer as they had hoped.

Several people have suggested internet-based work at home jobs and I’m looking at those but not sanguine about finding anything that will really make money.  Perhaps I’ll get an ice cream cart and start going to kids sporting events!  A new ice cream cart can cost thousands but I did find a website that shows you how to build your own – there’s a project!

Our lease at the mobile home park is up at the end of May – friends have suggested trying to find the money to buy a mobile home (there are a few as low as $15-30k) but until I have job that doesn’t look like a feasible idea.  It sure would be nice to have the extra space (and a real refrigerator) and it’s interesting that the lower priced units are the same as a new travel trailer!

This entry was posted in 2nd Career, job search and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Updates

1. Sandy says:

I saw a listing for Environmental, Health, & Safety Administrator at San Bernardino Community College. (at cccregistry.org) There are also adjunct positions for environmental technologies. I was wondering if these types of positions might be related to the work you did before. If you have any questions about positions at community colleges (which I think is a great place to work), please let me know.

2. SAB says:

An interesting article on amazon.com hiring……

3. Celeste says:

A friend of mine applied for a job opening at Farmers Insurance and they too gave her all of the training she needed. She needed to take an exam to get the job but mostly it was a reading and math test, just to make sure she could handle documents. There’s a lot of room for advancement in insurance, and of course you’d be insured as well.

4. Brandon says:

I have a friend who does auto claims for NationWide. He was a philosophy major in college, and gave me the impression that when he got the job they did all the training he would need there, so courses might be superfluous anyway.

5. Kathleen says:

This might be a stupid question, especially as I know you’ve mentioned medical stuff in the past, but I don’t remember you saying anything about it, so I thought it couldn’t hurt. Have you looked at hospitals in your area? My experience has been a. that they are nearly always hiring, b. that they are interested in people with diverse backgrounds, and c. that they usually have fabulous health benefits, which it sounds like would help out a lot. I know that the hospital I work at, which is on the East Coast or I would send you the link to the HR webpage, generally looks more for people who have great people skills and learn quickly than people who necessarily have experience working in health care settings. Most of the software, protocols, etc. are hospital specific, so even if you’ve worked somewhere else, chances are you need a decent amount of training when you start and they readily provide it. Just a thought.

this is just a suggestion, having worked for Costco (worked there for 10 years) I don’t work there anymore but done hiring for years as HR I would be happy to review your cover letter and resume, perhaps a tweet here or therer may help.

I know Wells Fargo is hiring, and Home Depot was looking to fill about 10,000 spots throughout the country. Also google was hiring and looking to fill about 6000 spots

Have a fantastic day otherwise
    Jeannette

7. Tiffany says:

Good idea about the ice cream cart. The carts can be pretty expensive though, so if you want a cheaper way to start out, how about using a box with neck strap (like the old time cigarette girls). You could sell candy, small toys (you could purchase at the dollar store), bottled water, maybe mini fans (also available at dollar stores), and supplies like sunscreen. You could probably start for less than $50 (excluding the cost of a selling permit from your local state tax board).