Loser Mom :-)

Yesterday I had jury duty. Sat around all day in the jury assembly room until we were released at 4:40 PM. When I picked up the kids I told them I didn’t get picked for a jury and my smallest daughter said “So you didn’t get that job either?” After I told her it would only be part time and pay $15 a day she thought it was just as well.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Loser Mom :-)

1. Cindy says:

Interesting that they weren’t sure they were going to let you vote, but they sure found you for jury duty! Gotta love bureaucracies!! Sorry, I know this is a VERY late post, but just found your blog today from an article you wrote for Salon.com in Apr 2010.

2. Jynet says:

Out of the mouths of babes. LOL.

I love how thier perception of the world revolves around thier family (and therefore: you) and not around all of the other factors that affect decisions like this … or about who gets hired.

3. maja says:

You’re too smart for jury duty.

• Nancy says:

So you think only stupid people should be on juries? I hope you never need one to listen to your side of the story and really understand the issues of your case, accident, or claim against your employer.

I think juries are extremely important, and think BCK would be perfect for jury duty since she really listens to people. In fact, they were taking applications for the grand jury in my county and I immediately thought of BCK and that she’d be perfect for the job, but it only pays $50 a day and involves some night hours. It is really something I’d love to do if I were independently wealthy and could devote a year to it.

• Kay says:

I feel compelled to respond to the person who says you are too smart for jury duty. We NEED smart people on our juries. Thank you for spending your day in the court house so that our judicial system can work. I’m sure you had a ton of other things to do and from your blog it seems you dont have the best experience with our legal system (it didn’t work fast enough to get your tenant out or save your house from foreclosure). It’s not a perfect system but it is one of the best in the world. More smart people on juries would help it run even better. Thank you again for being willing to serve.

I would have been happy to serve if selected. I did wish there was a more efficient way to select juries – in the morning they said there were 156 cases that had requested jury trials. In the end they selected a jury for only 1 case! But they ‘cleared’ the rest. I’m not sure if there were continuances or other delays in some cases – in one they started selecting the jury and the defendant went ahead and pled guilty and other cases might have been cleared in the same manner. I did find it interesting and reflective of our process and people that 200 adults from varying backgrounds were willing to sit quietly for an entire day (yes, there were breaks but even so that just meant that most of us sat quietly somewhere else for 20 minutes).

4. Oh, children are keeping up. Mine checked on me when I came home from a class where they knew I had a test. Well, at least you had a satisfactory comeback. I laughed as I felt the pain of that post. I really hate your children feel anxious. I wish there were something I could do for you.

5. Linda P. says:

Out of the mouth of babes. I laughed outright when I read that but only because humor is so often born of the unexpected, with the tragic undertones coming through only after the laugh. I didn’t even know what to write yesterday when I first read it, and I still don’t. Children shouldn’t be feeling hopelessness, and I think there are many who are.

6. Becky R says:

You are not a loser.

7. SAB says:

LOL! That’s pretty funny! Jury duty is sooo boring.