I will confess that back in the days when we had television I would sometimes watch one of those house flipping shows – you know, where someone buys an old, foreclosed house and rips out the interior, fixing and modernizing it and then sells at a profit. I didn’t watch those shows for the how to tips (just as well as they were few anyway) but to marvel at the transformation. I wish I could now proclaim that I had presided over the transformation of our bathroom floor but I’m afraid I will have to settle for a much weaker announcement. It is now (almost, kind of) fixed.I was able to remove the toilet (thanks- the wd-40 did the trick) but the black plastic platform upon which it sat would not budge! Still I managed to excavate most of the old floor beneath it so that the new plywood could slide in and provide a sturdier surface.
It took more time – and more money since I had to quit halfway through my first effort, throw everything out and start over – than I had hoped. And it isn’t completely finished as I still have to do some work around the edges to marry the floor with the wall so that spilled water won’t get in the cracks. I think I fixed the leak- or at least one leak – a spot in the water pipe where it connect to the toilet is now wrapped in special water and air proof tape and the floor behind the toilet has remained dry. So perhaps that will slow down any future deterioration of the floor.
I don’t intend to add home repair to my skills list on my resume! But it’s probably a good thing that I tackled it myself and saved some money in doing so because the car is having trouble and that’s not something I’m going to try and fix by myself!