Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Program

BTW- if anyone wants the book and planner mentioned in the previous post, drop me an email and I’ll be happy to send it to you.  In our space if it’s not useful it’s clutter and we don’t tolerate clutter – no room for it! [that was fast- Linda has claimed it.]

I thought I’d give you all an update on various things.  We’ve been in the new park for about 6 weeks now and are fairly well settled in.  It’s proven to be a much better location – closer to school and other places we visit regularly.  The former is especially important as it’s a frequent trip and we are much less likely to be late now than we were when traveling from the old park – no freeway driving required, either.  Our grumpy next door neighbor has turned out not to be so grumpy (although he still doesn’t like the dogs) and other people in the park have been nice enough with the exception of the older boy who stole my son’s razor scooter.  We find some things more awkward – there’s no parking anywhere near the laundry room for example and it’s quite a trek when you have several loads of clothing to wash.  I just save it up and go to a neighborhood coin Laundromat instead.  Our electricity bill is very reasonable – around $24 a month, so even with that added expense it’s less than our previous park.  And the management is quite nice.  In general it’s working out well.

The kids are doing great in school.  My 8th grader who has always been a straight A student is continuing to do well after her move from the alternative middle school to your basic big public school, although we’ve discovered her math skills aren’t where they need to be.  So I’m reading Algebra for Idiots in an effort to be more helpful when she has questions about her homework!  Algebra wasn’t my favorite subject all those years ago and I’m afraid it’s taking some serious review for me to get up to speed!  And here I thought I was done with homework.  My son, who has been a bit delayed – in growth, speech, emotional development – due to his heart condition and 3 years in an orphanage is really taking off in first grade!  I’m very proud of his achievements and really believe (counter to what the experts were telling me when I brought him home) that he will accomplish great things – probably in engineering.  He has a very scientific mindset.

My middle daughter is coming home for Thanksgiving is we can swing it. I should have bought the ticket ages ago but didn’t have money saved until now and naturally the good fares are long gone. I’m trying to be flexible on dates to get something affordable. I can’t wait to see her. She’s grown so much and I feel I’ve missed out on so much.  I’ve missed her more than I thought possible and I’m looking forward to having her home for good as soon as I can negotiate it.

I had my free Heart Aware visit yesterday.  The program is great – in addition to the free diagnostic testing they have a variety of classes – heart healthy nutrition, meditation, preventative measures, etc.  I think I’ll be taking advantage of some because, regrettably, the diagnostic tests came back not so good.  The RN doing the test put smiley faces next to my ‘good’ scores, and unhappy faces next to my ‘bad’ scores.  The results reminded me of my old algebra homework!  I got one happy face – good glucose score so no diabetes.  The rest were SAD!  Good cholesterol is too low, bad cholesterol is too high, triglycerides are too high, cholesterol ratio is bad, blood pressure too high (without medication) and the EKG came back with an abnormal reading of some blockage. And I’ve barely lost any weight at all. Well, heck!  I’d hoped that some of the lifestyle changes – including walking between 1.5 and 2 miles a day – that I made after making my appointment 3 weeks ago would have paid off.  Or maybe they did and my numbers would have been even worse?  I left with a list of mostly expensive tests I could have done to check things out more thoroughly, recommendations for ways to get the cholesterol in check, and an appointment for a follow up visit in six months.

In terms of work – no response whatsoever on the jobs I applied for in the past few weeks.  Not unexpected.  I have been doing a few more eBay listings for folks but that’s on hold briefly as my camera was stolen (shopping at Target, fellow bumped into me knocked me down, spilling my purse, apologized profusely, helped pick things up and then hurried off.  At least I had my hand on my wallet even while sprawled on the floor.).   I’m meeting with the director of our local children’s museum this week to discuss offering archaeology workshops to local schools.  I’ve done 2 of these workshops for them and they’d like to make it a regular thing.  Hopefully the schools will be interested.

That’s it from this end!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Back To Our Regularly Scheduled Program

1. maja says:

I find that interspersing a bit of running, no matter how short a time you run for, in between walking will help get your heart rate up a bit higher which will help you burn more calories on your daily walk. I used to walk home from work all the time and found it made no difference in weight loss. Running as much as I can makes all the difference.

Sucks your camera got stolen, and your sons toy as well! Totally unfair.

OK – here’s another question for walkers/runners. I have a bunion (more than you wanted to know) on one foot and after awhile it hurts! Especially if I’m running. Is there something to do to help? Wrap up my foot or something?

2. Rosa says:

If you have a little red wagon stuck away in your storage unit, or can borrow one on laundry day, they’re good for having to haul laundry – my old, unsafe metal one was exactly the width of a standard rectangular laundry basket (I usually stacked it 2 high), and the newer ones w/plastic rails around them just about work as rolling baskets themselves. If the park is not too strict about toys being visible, a bike lock will secure a wagon through the handle.

Sadly all that sort of stuff didn’t make it to storage! I’ve thought about getting one of those old lady carts but we’d need 3 or 4 for all the laundry!

3. Grace says:

Think seriously about blood pressure meds! They are mostly generic and very cheap even if you have no insurance–$4 at Wal-Mart if you can believe that. And while you’re at Wal-Mart, pick up their twin packs of fish oil capsules–I’ve priced them everywhere, and at least in my Pacific NW town, Wal-Mart is the cheapest. There are a lot of longterm studies that now show that treating high blood pressure with medication from the time it’s first noticed brings the best benefits. All of my mother’s aunts and uncles died from strokes in their sixties. Her doctor put her on meds at age 50 and she made it to age 78. I’ve been on blood pressure meds since age 48 and I intend to reach 100! Also, at age 59, I had a guadruple by-pass from which I made a full recovery with zero complications–part of the reason was that my blood pressure and cholesterol were normal and had been for years thanks to the medications I’d been taking regularly. OK–end of commercial!

• Jay says:

I second the motion for HBP meds. I’ve been on a generic diaretic (sp?) the cheapest, longest known blood pressure med, and it dropped my pressure by 40 points. Not quite into the “normal” range, but out of the “omg, you are going to die tomorrow” range! All for $7/m. Great deal 🙂

I’m on BP meds (generic) – have been since my blood pressure went up (coincidentally that was when I became a parent LOL!) but my doctor won’t renew my Rx without a visit. I have an appointment scheduled and am told it will cost between $45 and $100.

4. Jon says:

It might be too late, but did you complain to Target about it? I don’t know about Target, but in other situations I’ve seen companies try to make things right when thefts like that have happened on their property. I’ve never heard of that happening inside a store though.

5. Susan says:

Sorry to hear about your camera. Good thing you had your hand on your wallet or I am sure that would have been gone. I hosted a Girl Scout sleepover at my office building & someone stole my camera. It was sitting out, but I seriously didn’t think anyone involved with Girl Scouts would steal it.

6. Linda P. says:

If you’re interested, you might check out either THE CHINA STUDY (Campbell) or PREVENT AND REVERSE HEART DISEASE, with the last by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn who was associated for decades with a program at the Cleveland Clinic, home of a well-known cardiac clinic. If you’re interested and your library doesn’t have them, you might email me and I’ll send you my copies. The steps Dr. Esselstyn suggests are diet-based (vegan). Our grocery bills have actually gone down, and my husband’s blood pressure, cholesterol and weight all went down dramatically quite quickly. In addition, he is diabetic and was able to come off one of his many medications quite quickly, no longer requiring insulin injections. A co-worker and friend told us about these books after he visited Dr. Esselstyn after developing a cardiac arthymia. That friend’s cholesterol is now down from 259 to 154. His arthymia has disappeared. At first, I protested that this program was way too extreme, that we wouldn’t be able to stick to it, etc., but when we saw the quick health benefits to my husband, I changed my tune. One problem: all those veggies do take up more room than packaged foods and do require more frequent shopping.

Interesting. I’m not sure I’m ready for a vegan diet – I do plan to cut back on meat (we don’t eat that much but I go through periods when I just crave it and have to have a jalapeno hamburger) The RN also recommended fish oil so I bought a bottle of that yesterday (at Target where my camera was stolen). The recipes I have for heart healthy cooking aren’t easy to accomplish in a trailer with no counter space and few kitchen implements so I’ll probably just eat a lot of salads.