Job Re-Training

I think I’ve found a potential job retraining opportunity that could suit me and make use of my previous experience in the environmental field. Our local community college has a short course this summer that would allow me to earn a Building Performance Institute Certification. This is supposed to be a growing field with an increase in jobs. It costs $1600 in tuition so I can’t actually take the course this summer as our projected expenses already outstrip my unemployment check but if they offer it in fall, or more likely next winter, I might be able to save up enough to take it.
Here’s the course description:

Train to become an energy efficiency auditor and earn your BPI Certification (Building Performance Institute) in only one week. A recent study by the California Community College’s Centers of Excellence indicates that the need for building auditors will increase by 54% over the next three years throughout South Central California. Individuals in the fields of construction, design, inspection, contracting, and utilities will want to take this new course to learn to identify the relationships among overall performance, efficiency and durability. Class participants will learn to target, diagnose, and recommend procedures to remedy inefficient building performance. Course fee includes classroom training (1 full day + 2 half-days), field training (2 half-days), course materials, study materials, BPI application fees, written exam fee and field exam fee. The written and field exams will be held on Day 4 and 5 of the course. Course fee includes classroom training (1 full day + 2 half-days), field training (2 half-days), course materials, study materials, BPI application fees, written exam fee and field exam fee. The written and field exams will be held on Day 4 and 5 of the course.

This entry was posted in recession and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Job Re-Training

1. Bee Gomez says:

Are houses still being built in Ventura? Or would you have to travel to work?

Three days of classroom training and $1600, and presto, one is in a sought after position? Hmmm. I hope you will check with companies who would hire this specialty and find out if employment is really available in this field and if the course is helpful in getting such jobs.

• Yeah, that occurred to me too. So many of these training classes are not much more than money makers for the trainers and of course no jobs are guaranteed at the end. I guess I could also go finish Bartending School (which I paid for shortly before we lost our house and moved into tents – I didn’t feel I could complete the course as it would have meant leaving the kids alone for several hours in the evening!). At least with the local school we can take a break and resume the course any time we want without spending more money.

3. Hermamm says:

What about government student loans?

I know nothing about the US student loan system, but in Canada as a single parent you would qualify for tuition AND living expenses! And at the end the government may “remiss” or forgive part or most of it (I know, this is how I supported my family for almost 10 years!)

4. Sue says:

Do you know how much time you’ll need to spend on the road, if you get a job in this field? You should try to talk to someone already doing this type of job, to understand exactly what it entails.

5. patty says:

Would you be able to independently consult once you have the training or do you still have to work under someone? Have you tried talking to the community college about reduced tuition fees (on scholarship?)? Sometimes colleges can help nontraditional students (although they may be strapped now too) Find a business looking to hire (I know, I know) and see if they will front the training costs. With sustainability being a hot topic energy auditors may be sought after but also proceed carefully that its not hook and sink.

6. Judy says:

Is there any financial aid or grant money that you can get to take this course. It certainly sounds promising

7. John says:

Hmmm . . . sounds cool. Hopefully it works out; I bet it will.